Monday, October 31, 2011

Blog #10

Don't Let Them Take The Pencils Home


Don't Let Them Take The Pencils Home is a post by Mr. Spencer which talks about a teacher whom approaches him concerned about the students taking home pencils because it has a chance of affecting the standardized tests scores. However contrary to the teacher, Mr. Spencer focuses on the solution rather than the problem. The other teacher believes that the children in low income area's look at pencil's as entertainment not learning, so she opts out of allowing to let them use the pencils at home, to not chance low test scores. Mr. Spencer gives the following solution to the other teacher, that he has set up a pencil program encouraging students to use pencils for learning purposes and also learning activities to do. The other teacher is reluctant to believe that his solution will work. This is what I took from this post, Mr.Spencer has a positive outlook and sometimes just some encouragement goes a long way. Teachers get to involved with what makes them look good, (test scores) it is clear what the other teacher is concerned about, the test scores! I think Mr. Spencer is refreshing because he is actually concerned with his students learning!

I think as a teacher it is important to focus on positive things and not every little thing and especially not test scores. I believe that if you are innovative with your students and creative with ways to help them learn then that will show on test scores! I think Mr Spencer is portrays himself as an educator who truly cares about his students and learning and not just test scores! I appreciate this post because I know one day as a teacher I will have to be reminded to not blow the small things out of proportion and to always remember that my student's should always come first. While I understand test score are important, I believe that trusting students and encouraging all types of learning is also important.




I Want To Be An Educator!

Do You Teach, Or Do You Educate? is a video about the differences of "teaching" which can often be just dates and facts and truly educating! When watching this video I was reminded of my mother and Father. My mom and dad have always used the word educated. Like I have mentioned in previous post I am getting married in March! While preparing for the wedding we have also looked into house buying and also am purchasing a car for me. My father in the last week as said multiply times have you educated yourself on this? Have you educated yourself on that? My parents have never wanted anything more than for me and my siblings to be excited about being educated on things. I think being raised to be educated on a wide range of things not just math and english, though it is important, I think it is also important to have an excitement to be educated about life as a whole! I think it is important to be educated on what its like to actually be in the room during a birth of baby, or what its like to go rock climbing, finding your way home using a map, or in my case purchasing a home. I think its important to not just read about things but seek ways to live them out! I think that apart of being educated on something is experience. I think as a educator is important to be encouraging, inspiring and to also help experience happen! I am so excited to be an educator, I owe so much to my parents and also to God and I personal think the world is so beautiful and I cant wait to share my excitement with children!

1 comment:

  1. You missed the metaphor. You are not the first. Additional Assignment: Read these three posts:

    1. Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

    In that post there is a Special Assignment. Do that assignment in a new post which is Additional Post #1. It does NOT substitute for Blog Post #14 as it did in the Spring semester.

    Due midnight Sunday November 20, 2011.

    2. Metaphor Discussion Update

    3. Jennifer Asked: Why Use Metaphors? Here is My Answer

    4. For more information also see:
    You Missed the Point! It's Not A Pencil…"

    ReplyDelete