Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blog Post #7

Finding Inspiration

When I logged on to my computer to see this week's assignment, I found a video that lasted 1:16:27. This video was not only longer than the average assignment, but touched me beyond any other assignment thus far in my college career. Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Childhood Dreams is a bitter sweet video, that touches your soul. I had hoped before even pressing play that I would find the inspiration to have enough to say when writing this. After the video I had to take a minute to take the whole video in and even had to review parts of it because I liked the content so much. I was overly impressed and inspired by this video. Randy Pausch says in the beginning of the video it is not about cancer, however it was still heart breaking to watch because his wife's tears shows how hard it was on his family. I felt sad after this and even found myself crying at the end. I felt sad for his family, but I found it beautiful to witness a man with such a great legacy. The lecture was motivational,and after watching it I felt refreshed and delighted to have the opportunities that I do in front of me. I am not sure what we were suppose to take from this video in regards to EDM310, but I learned valuable life lessons from it.
when watching this I kept thinking about quality not quantity. This saying best describes what I took from Randy Pausch's life. It is sad that he died at such a prosperous time in his life and only a couple of years after his 80 year old father died. His life, however was filled with achievements and he left a wonderful legacy. I found it neat how many people he talked about and how they each effected his life, and also how many different lives he helped shaped.

Randy Pausch talks about childhood dreams and achieving them. He gives examples of different childhood dreams of his own and tells about how he reached them. He goes through the people who helped him and also the people he helped along the way. There were things that he did not achieved but this didn't mean he didn't achieve something valuable. He says experience is what you get when don't get what you wanted. He also goes on to talk about "head fakes" or indirect learning, how sometimes when we learn something through doing something else. He says "all that is well, ends well." this is fitting to his life. It is apparent that he had a well life and according to this lecture his life is ending well.

I think that Randy Pausch is inspirational, not because he died of cancer, but because he was humble and honest. I loved how he gave credit to every person who deserved it, even to his father for winning a particular stuffed animal. He seemed so loved and this is shown not only by his support but also by the looks on the faces of the audience. He was so personal and addressed and credited everyone whom he talked about. One of the most inspirational things to me is when he is talking about his first boss encouraging him to go to graduate school. He says that Van Dam tells him that he is one heck of a sells man and what better to sell than education. Randy actually seems to get choked up at this point. I think this is a beautiful part of the lecture. Randy Pausch taught me new things through this lecture and also refreshed things I already knew. I learned that it is important to have dreams and to be persistent. It is important to know the different ways of saying what you need to say to someone. You need to be good at something to be valuable. If you have a gift you need to pursue it and embrace it.

Lastly I enjoyed the end of the lecture when he ask what the head fake was of the lecture. The first one he says is that the whole lecture can be applied to your entire life and the second one is that the lecture was intended for his children. This touched me the most, as I sat there and grieved for the lost of these children's father I began to think, Randy Pausch had such a wonderful legacy, but what is the best part of his legacy? I believe that the greatest legacy you can leave is children. I noticed several times throughout the lecture that he referenced how he was raised. I believe his parent's had a huge part in making him a respectable and successful person. Dylan, Logan and Chloe have a dad whom they can grow up proud of.
Chloe on randys hand
Even though Randy Pausch is no longer physically here with his children, his words and legacy can still lift them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment