Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog #13 Option 2

Out With The Old, In With The New

The article My Teacher Is an App is about online public schools, which includes students that take online classes ranging from one class to their entire course load online. Online schooling is launching nationwide and accounts for 250,000 students from grades K5-12. The article goes on to talk about the negative and positive results of online schooling. Standardize test scores were poorly represented of some of the online schooling, while others excelled. One thing mentioned in the article is that the students that stayed enrolled for longer than a year saw an increase in their test scores. The article also covers how it effects budgets and also teachers. It covers the unions opinion on it, which isn't a very fond one. The overall content of the article is how much online schooling can vary, from school to school and also from student to student.
@ graduation


My thoughts on online schooling is very positive. I think that options always produce better end products. The article talks about how it is an option for parents who want to provide their kids with their idea of a safe surrounding. It also talks about students and parents that use online schooling as a last resort. I think just like in traditional school settings that test scores, learning styles and opinions are all going to vary in online schooling. My sister chooses to homeschool her children, while she only has one school age child she uses the computer for a lot of his curriculum. My nephew test far beyond his grade level. He read at a 1st grade level and did simple math at age 4. While my nephew is very advanced in his education, he is a very hyper little boy. I believe that online schooling is the perfect option for him because he is able to do school work and play at certain amounts that helps him focus on school when he needs to. Even though I am in school to become a teacher, I in no way feel threatened by online schooling. I actually would love for this to be an option for my children one day!

2 comments:

  1. You are more open-minded than many of your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Strange, This was by far one of the most interesting things I have gone over in this course. It really interest me and I would actually love to know more about online schooling and as I get closer to being a teacher and starting my own family, I'm sure I will learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete