Sunday, November 20, 2011

Special Assignment

knocksocksoff



Rock Your Socks Off
I, like several other classmates missed the metaphor in the blog post Don't Let Them Take The Pencil's Home. The blog post is about the students taking home the pencils and it effecting their test scores. It is a argument between the author and a narrow minded coworker. The blog post is obviously a metaphor about technology in education today. For this special assignment Dr. Strange wanted us to focus on metaphors and to pay attention to them in our everyday lives. I did exactly what he asked and got the perfect response. I was on vacation this past week with my family, including my sweet nephews, a 7 year old and a 3 year old. Me, my sister and dad overheard a conversation between the two while playing and it went as follows. Brye: (7yrs) "Asher this is going to rock your socks off!!!" Asher:(3yrs) " But I not wearing socks....." Brye: (laughing) "Asher it's a METAPHOR. I'm not really going to take your socks off" Asher: "Well mines going to be soooo bigger, Im going to rock your socks off, take them outside and throw them in the tree!!!". I loved it, two sweet little boys understood what a metaphor was, which made their Aunt Kate feel a little ridiculous for missing the metaphor in the blog post. I think that it is something I will defiantly expose my students to no matter how young they are. My little nephew is a great example that young children can understand metaphors. So exactly what is a metaphor? here are a few:
"Time is Money"
"It's Raining Cats and Dogs"
"He Kicked the Bucket"
"I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse!"
"His Money Went down the Drown"
"I'm Dead Tired"
"She is The Apple of His Eye"

No comments:

Post a Comment